ICRI 2008 Project Award Winner
Share |

Award of Excellence: Special Projects Category

Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant Concrete Repair and Cathodic Protection
grey line

Lusby, Maryland

Submitted by Structural Preservation Systems

Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant

Constellation Energy
Lusby, Maryland

Project Engineer/

Constellation Energy
Lusby, Maryland

Repair Contractor
Structural Preservation Systems
Elkridge, Maryland

Material Suppliers/

CorrPro Companies, Inc.
Medina, Ohio

Rampart Hydro Services, LP
Coraopolis, Pennsylvania

Built by Baltimore Gas & Electric in the 1970s, the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant (CCNPP) and its associated high-power electric lines are a Calvert County landmark. In March 2000, CCNPP became the first plant in the United States to earn 20-year extensions of its operating licenses from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. CCNPP replaced the steam generators in Units 1 and 2. When deterioration of steel on the intake floor, circular water pump bowels (CWB), and salt water pits (SWP) became severe, CCNPP contacted a concrete repair contractor for assistance. The owner wanted to repair the concrete surfaces with a system that would help prevent corrosion and last for a period of approximately 20 years to reduce plant maintenance costs.

For the $3.25 million project, the scope of work encompassed three main areas: the intake floor, CWB, and SWP. In order to achieve the owner’s goal, the team used an impressed current cathodic protection (ICCP) system to help prevent corrosion of the new and existing reinforcing steel in the floor.

The first phase of the project began in October 2006 and was completed in early 2007. Phase one represented approximately 15 percent of the project scope. The remaining 85 percent of the work was completed between April and December 1, 2007, which shows a remarkable change in efficiency of the project.

ICRI Supporting Members


International Concrete Repair Institute, Inc.
1000 Westgate Drive, Suite 252
St. Paul, Minnesota 55114 USA
Phone: +1 651-366-6095

Copyright © 2015-2018 International Concrete Repair Institute, Inc. (ICRI) All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy | Antitrust Policy | Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map