Award of Merit: Historic Category
Renovation of Miami Fire Station No. 2
Submitted by Prestige Concrete Products
& Assocaites, Inc.
Coconut Grove, FL
West Palm Beach, FL
West Palm Beach, FL
Fire Station No. 2 is a central historic structure in Miami, FL. The fire station is a twostory clay masonry structure constructed in 1926 and is one of only two remaining fire stations incorporating Mediterranean architecture, resembling the style popular in Miami in the 1920s. The second-story corners are highlighted with masonry quoins. Over the main entrances, balconies are decorated with twisted column balustrades. A square tower flanked by lower wings characterizes the exterior of the fire station. These lower wings contain arched entrances that provide vehicle access to the building. Mission tiles cap the pyramidal roof on the top of the tower. Gable roofs protrude from the wings of the building, which are enclosed with masonry coping at the ends of the gable.
The structure has not functioned as a fire station for many years. The building was last used as a combination day care and community center until 1985 and has been a vacant derelict shell until the OMNI Community Redevelopment Agency funded a $3.3 million renovation, which was completed in 2012.
Although the exterior of the historic structure still maintained its distinctive features, it did not meet South Florida’s hurricane-strength building code requirements. Replacing the structural clay masonry while maintaining the historic exterior was possible but cost-prohibitive. Instead, shotcrete was used as a more economical method for structural strengthening by adding shotcrete walls, columns, and thickened beams to the inside face of the structure. Pneumatically applied dry-mix shotcrete was used for the application.
The renovation project fulfilled all of its goals by giving new life to a building while maintaining its historic value. Fire Station No. 2 can be found on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.