Award of Merit: Historic Category
Historic Restoration of 330 Stuart Street
Submitted by Gale Associates, Inc.
Liberty Mutual Group
Gale Associates, Inc.
Phoenix Bay State Construction
Scituate, Rhode Island
Originally designed by Densmore, LeClear & Robbins of Boston, 330 Stuart Street was built in two phases (the first phase in 1917 and the second in 1928). The eight- to 10-story building was originally owned and occupied by the Salada Tea Company. The 330 Stuart Street facility is a historically significant transitional masonry building. Transitional masonry buildings were constructed during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. These buildings use multi-wythe masonry walls, and have concrete elements along with structural steel framing.
The owner retained a specialized building envelope consultant, with the assistance of a historic restoration contractor, to perform an in-depth façade inspection to determine the cause and origin of visible cracks, spalls, and water infiltration. Detailed plans and specifications were developed outlining proposed methods of repair and replacement.
The 330 Stuart Street facility is truly representative of early transitional construction. The use of masonry, concrete, and steel framing components brought attributes of each to a facility that had performed for 75 years. The deficiencies of original steel support / anchorage had resulted in multiple defects. The use of state-of-the-art repair methods and materials has resulted in an anticipated extended service life of more than 50 years. The ability of the designer and the restoration contractor to perform as a team resulted in a project coming in on time, on budget, and as designed.